Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Unit 4: Dialect case studies (pp. 54-55)

Read these dialect case studies and suggest some advice for each of the people. Before you start, discuss the meaning of the word "slang" with a partner. Can you give some examples in Japanese? Who says these words? What do they mean?

Case Study #1
"My son is very bright. He always does very well in school, but I worry that people won't see that because of the way he speaks. He uses a lot of the slang that's popular with teenages these days. I'm afraid that people will stereotype him because of the way he talks. To me, he sounds uneducated and rude. He says, though, it's a part of his identity and he would be a different person if he talked a different way. Also, he says that all his friends talk that way and he wants to fit in with them."
Case Study #2
"I have a Boston accent. When I lived in Boston, I never thought about it much, but I beame aware of my accent when I moved to the West Coast. People here always comment on my accent and sometimes laugh when I say certain words. I don't think they are intentionally trying to hurt my feelings; they just don't realize that it hurts me. It makes me feel self-conscious, and I'm always worried about what people think of me. I want people to accept me the way I am."
Homework for April 19. 
1. Go to the self-study room and borrow one of the audio CDs for Northstar 3. Ask the staff at the desk for the CD for my Friday 1 class. You can borrow the CD overnight. Download it on your computer so you can do your homework this year.
2. Get the textbook and do page 55 #2 for homework. You will need to reread the case studies in order to do this homework.


No comments:

Post a Comment